Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cahabon River

This was one of my favorite spots we visited in Guatemala. We had to take FWD vehicles to get to this spot in the mountains...the journey was almost as fun as the destination. The river is raging, and falls underground (just beyond this photo) for about 300 meters. On top, there are these series of pools that you can swim in (bottom photo)...at the far side of the pools, you can see the river re-emerge from underneath....a truly amazing spot in nature.

This was not an easy shot to get. I had to walk out onto a ledge that hung over the river...one wrong move, and I am dead...just beneath me the river goes underground, and I was told that no one had ever made it out alive if you fell in...that will certainly get your attention. I had to take five exposures because of the wide dynamic range. If I didn't shoot this as an HDR, you would not see any detail under the ledge...it took me some time to post process this shot, but I like the way it came out.


The above photo was taken at the far left of the pools below...


These are a couple of the pools people were swimming in...the river rages below these pools...


1 comment:

Mike said...

HDR has its place, and this is one where it works really well, great image.