Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Leica M9 And The Voightlander 50mm Nokton

I am not a camera equipment review kind of guy, but I just had to say something about this 50mm lens attached to the Leica M9. It is a beaut!! Leica lenses are NOT cheap, in fact, you need to save for many months to afford just one lens. When I was looking for lenses for my M9, I really wanted a 50mm lens but after forking over the bucks for the M9 itself, I had little money leftover to get any lens let alone a Leica lens. So, I settled for the Voightlander 50mm f/1.1 Nokton. For an extremely fast lens, it is only a fourth the price of the Leica 50mm Summilux f/1.4, and about one tenth the price of the new Leica 50mm Noctilux f/0.95.

In my opinion, this lens is excellent!! I have no complaints!! The shot below of my wife, Tika, was shot almost wide open at f/2. This is pretty much right out of the camera...only slight tweaks in LR. Check out the nice blurry background. If you are looking for a solid 50mm lens, look no further. Having said that, I still want a Leica 50mm, but that will just have to wait until I am rich...ha ha....

6 comments:

Tempo Dulu said...

Hi Scotty, I looking to buy a fixed 50 1.8 for my Nikon soon. I hope it works out as the zoom lens i have doesn't cut it in low light. cheers.

Country Girl said...

What a beautiful lens. I have a fixed 50 1.8 Nikon lens and I'm enjoying it. Love the bokeh here.

Kevin A said...

I have an M8 and an ugly Leica 50mm F2 Summicron (ugly as in visible scratches on the lens elements. It is still one of my favorite lenses and I use it in preference to it's 28mm Elmarit brother and some Voigtlanders of my own. I am not rich either, but I certainly pick my spots. I would say your combination of camera and lens makes a gorgeous image. Might make me go thinking about buying gear again. (every time I think I am out, they drag me back in!)

Well done!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting! Lovely photo. I have never owned a Leica before but I think the M9 is one I am not going to be able to resist. Keep posting more photos from the M9. Thanks.

Scotty Graham said...

Kevin...that's classic! I know the feeling...once you get a Leica, you are stuck in the mob...there is no escape!!

Piperpartners...from here on out, all photos posted on this blog will be from the M9...I no longer have my Nikon as I had to sell it to afford the Leica.

Anonymous said...

hey,
i got the same equipment, i love my Voigtlander 50mm, it's great and sharp in F2, and F1.4, but shooting it at F1.1, it's really hard to keep up with the focus, the model has to be in complete stillness.....
other than that, yes, i agree, it's a great lens, at least for the price, and the appearance !!!