Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Merapi is Quiet

I was watching the news, and there were several reports about Anak Krakatau (child of Krakatau) erupting again in the Sunda Straight. It reminded me of my trip to central Java to see the eruption of Mount Merapi at sunrise last May (photo above). I now want to go see Krakatau, but you have to get there by boat to get close, and taking photos from a boat is tricky to say the least. Mount Merapi, on the other hand, has been very quiet. Last May, scientists were thinking that there would be a HUGE eruption, and when I was down there, National Geographic had a team of photographers and scientists waiting for the "big blow". It never occurred, but you never know in this country.

4 comments:

quintarantino said...

Great. Just great.

Mia said...

What a beautiful. Ãmazing.
Thanks for your e.mail, if i could .... but it's difficult.
Give a big kiss to lovely kayla and also for you and Tika.
Mia

Tom said...

Stunning.. what a great sight that must have been

Neva said...

Between you and Julie in Papua New Guinea, I am not sure I could sleep knowing these giants could go at any moment. I am guessing you have really big bugs where you are as well.lol