Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bantuan Banjir (Flood Help)



Here are a couple of other photos from yesterday. The thing that always amazes me about the Indonesian people is their resilience when natural disasters strike. When I went to Aceh after the tsunami, I was amazed at all the smiles, hellos, kids playing, and people with positive attitudes. The same thing happened yesterday when we went to several small kampungs in North Jakarta hit hardest with the floods. These people lost everything they owned, live in a world of mud, trash, and spoiled, polluted water....YET, all were smiling, kids were playing and laughing, and all were positive. All were thankful for what we brought them, and were very welcoming. The entire community....men, women, grand parents, and kids of all ages were all working together as a community to help re-build, and clean. I don't think I would have been able to say the same after a disaster in the States.

No comments: