Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve-Eve Shopping


You would think living in a Muslim country, shopping the day before Christmas Eve would be no problem in terms of crowds....WRONG. Man, you wouldn't believe the zoo at the mall last night. I guess there are more Christians than one would think in Jakarta...at least those who celebrate Christmas.

I just needed to get one thing for Tika, so I thought a quick trip to the mall.....yea, right. I left at 5:30 in the afternoon, and didn't get home until after 9:00. This is a mall that is only 10 minutes from our house. First, it took over 30 minutes to get there...traffic nightmare. Then, the parking.....oh the parking....OVER ONE HOUR weaving through illegally parked cars in the four floors of the underground parking garage. Talk about a nightmare. Then the shopping. I don't think anyone was in their home last night...the entire city of Jakarta was stuffed into the Pondok Indah Mall...unreal.

Anyway, I haven't left the house ALL day today (Christmas Eve). After last night, I think I will just camp at home. We will walk across the street to Chris and Indah's house tonight for dinner...shouldn't be any traffic.

No comments: